Posted on 04/22/2022
We all have a responsibility to preserve the planet we call home. As we celebrate Earth Day I am proud to say that CD10 is doing its part. Here are just a few of the things we were able to accomplish:
- Passing the first bill in the U.S. that reduced greenhouse gas emissions from passenger vehicles to combat the negative effects of climate change and served as a model for similar legislation across the country.
- Actively involved in bringing $50 million in upgrades to local parks (like new recreational facilities, soccer fields, skate parks, and tennis courts).
- In partnership with Sen. Kevin Murray, helped establish the Baldwin Hills Conservancy and the Baldwin Hills Scenic Overlook.
- Helped to create LA’s Green Building Retrofit and Workforce Program to generate jobs, train workers, and conserve water and energy in government-owned buildings.
- Passed forward a motion that aimed at phasing out oil drilling in the City and established the Office of Petroleum Administrator.
As we work to reduce greenhouse gasses and transition to alternative energy sources across the country we remind ourselves of the little things that people can do to lower their environmental footprint. Ahead of #EarthDay, CD 10 has launched a series of #EarthDayChallenges where residents will have the opportunity to do their part in preserving our home. For more sustainable tips on how you can help improve the planet see below:
- Unplug electronic devices and turn off lights when not in use.
- Keep your air conditioner at 70 degrees when in use.
- Replace old light bulbs with more energy-efficient ones.
- Use public transportation when you can.
- When driving try to carpool or rideshare with a friend or family member.
- For short distances, try using a bike.
- Shorten your showers.
- Turn off water faucets immediately after use.
- Water your lawn after sunset.
Recycling and Conservation:
- Buy from biodegradable or biofriendly brands.
- Collect cans and bottles for recycling.